Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Treatment Team | INVEGA SUSTENNA® (paliperidone palmitate) Skip to main content

Working With Your Doctors and Treatment Team

Your doctors and Treatment Team are a group of people you know and trust—people you can turn to when you need them at any stage of your treatment. No matter what challenges you may face in managing your schizoaffective disorder, it’s good to know you have a strong network of support.

Learn more about potential members of your Treatment Team

Everyone’s Treatment Team is a bit different. Your team may include only some of the people described below.

Your Treatment Team

Communication and honesty are key

One of the best things you can do to build your relationship with your doctor and your Treatment Team is make sure you’re communicating. You know your goals best, and it’s important to share your thoughts and ideas so your Treatment Team can work with you to support your treatment plan.

You play an important role in your treatment

The more involved and committed you are, the more you’ll get out of your treatment plan. Your opinions and ideas really matter, so speak your mind and take action!

Print a List of Your Team Members

You can print out a list of team members and write their information on it so that you have all their information in one place.


  • Psychiatrist


    Your relationship with your psychiatrist is one of the most important parts of the treatment process. Your psychiatrist:
    • Diagnoses and treats mental health conditions, like schizoaffective disorder
    • May prescribe your medication
    • Is the doctor you should call first if you have questions about your treatment plan
    • If you think you may be experiencing side effects or symptoms, contact either your psychiatrist or primary care physician


    Keep a list of any questions you think of between appointments and take it with you to your next appointment.

  • Primary Care Physician

    Primary Care Physician

    This is the doctor who monitors your overall physical health. Your primary care physician:
    • Checks your general health and wellness
    • Treats any general health conditions (like the flu)
    • May refer you to specialists for certain health conditions
    • If you think you may be experiencing side effects or symptoms, contact either your psychiatrist or primary care physician


    Talk to this doctor about any health goals like losing weight or starting an exercise program. He or she can help you figure out which steps to take next.

  • Nurse


    Your nurse provides you with care and treatment that supports your doctor’s diagnosis and instructions. Your nurse may:
    • Give your medication
    • Check for side effects
    • Learn about your progress


    Feel free to ask your nurse any questions you may have about your medication, your injections, or potential side effects.

  • Nurse

    Nurse Practitioner

    A nurse practitioner gives you care and treatment that supports your psychiatrist’s diagnosis and instructions. Some psychiatric nurse practitioners can also:
    • Assess your condition
    • Prescribe and administer medication
    • Monitor for side effects


    Have questions for your doctor? Go ahead and ask your nurse practitioner if you see him or her first. Your nurse practitioner will share information with your doctor.

  • Case Manager

    Case Manager

    Case managers are responsible for coordinating medical and mental health care, as well as any necessary support services. Your case manager can help make sure:
    • You have access to ongoing medical care
    • You have access to services like job training, benefits programs, or housing


    Looking for a new place to live? Your case manager can help you find a housing program—and any other resources you may need.

  • Psychologist


    A psychologist is a medical professional who can:
    • Help you work through emotional or behavioral issues
    • Provide therapy—both one-on-one or in a group
    • Help family members better understand you and your condition through family therapy


    Living with schizoaffective disorder can be challenging. Your psychologist is there to help you work through how you’re feeling, so open up and share.

  • Peer Support Specialist

    Peer Counselor

    Peer support specialist are people who are also living with a mental health condition. They can:
    • Share their experiences living with a mental health condition
    • Tell you about resources that have been useful to them
    • Listen to what you’re going through and relate in a way other people may not be able to


    Don’t be shy about sharing with your Peer support specialist. Chances are, he or she may have been through something similar.

  • Pharmacist


    Your pharmacist knows all about the different medications you may be taking. He or she can:
    • Help you understand why you are taking your medications, your dosages, and potential side effects
    • Help you understand what you should or shouldn't do on certain medications
    • Possibly administer your injection, depending on where you live and your doctor’s instructions


    Have a question about your medications and how you should be feeling when you take them? Ask your pharmacist!

  • Family
    & Friends

    Family & Friends

    Trusted family, friends, mentors, or religious personnel can help provide you with support and social interaction during the treatment process. Turn to them when:
    • You’re feeling isolated or need someone to talk to
    • You need to spend time with people who know and care about you
    • You want to plan an activity—like taking a walk, making dinner, or going to a movie


    Open communication can help your family and friends understand what you’re going through. Tell them what you need in terms of help or support—otherwise they might not know.